Is This an Emergency? – Memphis Pet Health
Doesn’t it seem like Felix decides the best time to get into the trash is after the vet office is closed?
Oftentimes, as a pet owner, it is very hard to know whether or not what has just happened is a true medical emergency. Just like in people, some conditions or illnesses can wait until the morning, while others are true emergencies that need to be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
Below are a few tips that may help you decide whether or not to bring your pet in to see a veterinarian on an emergency basis:
- Profuse vomiting and/or diarrhea that cannot be controlled
- Ingestion of something that may be toxic:
chocolate, avocado, grapes or raisins, onions, mistletoe, lilies, rat poison, human medications (especially ibuprofen, Aleve, Tylenol, etc), gum with xylitol in it, mushrooms
- Collapsing episodes, seizures, or difficulty breathing
- Constant coughing accompanied by restlessness
- A large and painful abdomen
- Pale gums:
to assess gently lift the lip up and look at the color of the gums above their teeth. It should be a nice pink color just like our gums. If it appears blue or very pale (white) or yellow please bring them in. This can be a sign of extreme anemia or internal bleeding.
- Hit by car or other severe concussive trauma
- Any significant amounts of bleeding
- yellow color to gums, inside of ears or on abdomen
- Abnormal vaginal discharge especially in intact females, straining to urinate or squatting to urinate without producing anything
- Hiding or acting very unusual or clingy, especially if it is a cat
Here at The Pet Hospitals we are working to provide more extended hours for these types of emergencies.
Our Collierville location is now open 7 days a week.
Please give us a call and let us know how we can help you today!
Collierville Weekend Hours:
- 8am-12pm: Regular Appointments
- 12pm-6pm: Emergency Hours
- 9am-4pm: Emergency Hours
Visit any of our locations for the best in veterinary care, provided by highly skilled professionals who love what we do!
- after hours care
- after hours pet care
- collierville pet emergency
- dog emergency
- emergency pet care
- germantown pet emergency
- help my pet
- houston levee
- indoor pets
- pet care
- pet health
- pet hospital
- pet insurance
- vet care