Things to know
We recommend taking the following into consideration when choosing the right pet insurance plan:
- Pet insurance is considered indemnity insurance, much like car insurance, and helps cover your pet’s needs when the unexpected occurs.
- No pet insurance company will cover pre-existing conditions, so it makes sense to start a policy for your pet at an early age.
- Some pet insurance companies will cancel your policy if your pet develops a chronic condition, so be sure to ask first.
- Many pet insurance companies will not cover hereditary diseases, so be sure to ask first.
- There are plans that only cover accidents and illnesses, but you can also purchase plans that will cover preventative care.
Our pet insurance recommendations include the following:
For more information about pet insurance, regulations, and insurance companies participating in the North American Pet Health Insurance Association, visit their website here: NAPHIA.org.